Saturday 27 September 2014

Problem Solving: The folding of a paper and Week 3.

This week first we learned statements that included conjunctions (and), disjunctions (or), the negation of such statements. Now I felt that these were simple enough concepts to grasp since they were rather straight forward in my opinion.

Next were truth tables used instead of Venn diagrams which were essential when there are more than 3 sets. Say P(x) -> (Q(x) -> (R(x) -> (S(x)))), it's impossible (Well for me anyway) to draw such a diagram and it would simply not be feasible or organized in a way where it could be easily read and understood.

The more important content included the properties in logic such as the commutative property, associative, as well as the distributive property. Now for the properties although some were obvious, others like the distributive property were not obvious to me when I first learned it. As a result I essentially made 4 Venn diagrams for the 4 properties we learned just so I could convince myself that they were indeed true and so I could have a visual representation of what both sides of each property meant.

I feel like I understand the material but probably only superficially in the sense that I won't be able to solve more complicated problems at this time. What do I mean by this? I looked over at the tutorial for week 3 and at this moment I'm not exactly sure how to prove equivalence at all but the other 2/3 of it looks manageable. So I'm definitely going to go back and review the notes and slides to assure that I understand all of it. So next up is the problem solving of the pattern in a folded piece of paper in the post following this...

No comments:

Post a Comment