Sunday 30 November 2014

Week 11 and part of 12.

So after learning basically about more examples and scenarios using big o and big omega (With different functions and whatnot) we learned about non-computable functions as well as starting to learn how to count. By counting I mean making sure that say a set is one to one and onto. To start we were shown the halt function followed by naval_gaze function. I think the key part here that allowed me to understand this problem to a certain extent was the fact that if a function does not halt within say a period of five minutes, I can't know whether or not the function will not halt or that the function is taking an extremely long time to execute.

Anyway next up was the notion of what is 'countable'. While we were given a few examples regarding this, I learned about diagonalization and if something is countable, it should be able to be expressed as a list. And after looking at Cantor's example about that the infinite decimals in [0,1] is not countable it felt interesting enough I actually went online just to learn a bit more about this notion of infinity. I this video here that was on the top of the search list on youtube. Now I actually do remember watching it 2 years ago when it first came out but it did not make that much sense to me. But today I found it a lot more interesting. None of the content change but what I learned in class allowed me to actually understand and dissect what was being said. It was surprisingly similar to what we learned in class but expressed in a different way so in my opinion it was definitely good for review too!

1 comment:

  1. I think that video explains it very clearly. I was a little confused from just the lecture because I didn't understand how we know for sure that the new number wasn't on the list.

    ReplyDelete